World Sight Day (WSD) is an international day of awareness, held annually on the second Thursday of October to focus attention on the global issue of avoidable blindness and sight impairment.
The theme for 2018 is Eye Care Everywhere.
Did you know?
- 253 million people are visually impaired
- More than 75% of visual impairment is avoidable
- 55% of moderate or severely sight impaired people are women
- 45% of visually impaired people live in China and India
- 89% of visually impaired people live in low and middle-income countries
- Cataract is the leading cause of sight loss in most regions of the world
- Top causes of visual impairment are cataract, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration