Our History

Southampton Sight has an amazing history since its inception in 1899 when it was known as Southampton Association for the Blind. The Association offered social support to blind people with the emphasis being on caring for every need.

Our Timeline History

2017
September 21, 2017

2017

we are now working using a multi agency approach joining up forces with Action on hearing, Southampton City Council and other organisations to offer a holistic wrap around one stop resource.

2013
September 21, 2013

2013

our constitution changed to include people with hearing loss and also to work with people beyond the City of Southampton limits.

2009
September 21, 2009

2009

the Hampshire Autistic Society purchased the site from Guide Dogs.

2008
September 21, 2008

2008

we changed our working title to Southampton Sight although we are still registered as Southampton Society for the Blind.

1993
September 21, 1993

1993

the land was sold to Guide Dogs for the Blind, and Southampton Society for the Blind became its tenants.

1968
September 21, 1968

1968

it was decided that the Association could stand on its own feet, and became a registered charity Southampton Society for the Blind.

1960
September 21, 1960

1960

a new social centre was opened. It was built from the funds from a Mayoral Appeal on council land, so the local council undertook to maintain it.

1950
September 21, 1950

1950

After the war the Welfare Services’ Committee, under the National Assistance Act 1948, improved and expanded “Hillfield” on Bassett Avenue to provide accommodation for mature blind people.

1940
September 21, 1940

1940

During the war the Association was based at 43 The Avenue. The Social Centre became a workshop for blind people to work on aircraft parts and social activities were suspended.

1930
September 21, 1930

1930

the Borough Council set up a scheme to provide payments to run the services. The Association was then reconstituted and became the Southampton Association for the Welfare of the Blind. Emphasis was centered on promoting the welfare of people who were duly certified as blind and prevention of blindness. Care was also arranged for blind children under 5, with the education committee offering educational schooling for those aged 5-16. Workshops for the blind were introduced and support offered for employment. Close links were established with the Royal National Institute for the Blind and their home workers scheme at this stage.

1909
September 21, 1909

1909

By this time the Association, consisting of members residing in Southampton who ‘lacked the sense of sight’ had established a set of “rules”. They existed to ‘brighten the lives of members’. This was achieved through lending books in Braille, providing weekly entertainment and annual outings.

1899
September 21, 1899

1899

It was known as Southampton Association for the Blind. The Association offered social support to blind people with the emphasis being on caring for every need.

We are proud to say we have developed into an award-winning local charity.
At our heart is the desire to support blind and partially sighted people in an ever-changing world.
This will always be our story…

Get in Touch

We would love to hear from you. Please use the methods on our contact page or alternatively fill in our quick contact form and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.